I can be reached at:Building BSD, room 2/038
My preferred e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org. See below for more ways of contacting me, or use one of the shiny buttons from above to visit another one of my internet profiles.
A current academic curriculum vitæ is available.
I have a master’s degree1 in mathematics (with a minor in computer science) and a Ph.D. in computer science. My thesis deals with analysing complex data sets using methods from topological data analysis. While initially interested in visualization and perception, I have since expanded my domain of interest and started working more in machine learning. See my research page for more information about this.
Here are some facets of my online life:
- I maintain a blog that contains some documentation about things I have learned or my opinions about software development, academia, and other topics.
- I operate a YouTube channel for making my academic talks accessible to larger audiences.
- I have a profile on ResearchGate for collecting publications and simplifying academic exchanges. I don’t update it regularly, so when in doubt, the papers on my research page constitute the authoritative version of a publication.
- I have a Twitter account although I don’t even know how this Twitter thing is supposed to work.
- I have a GitHub account that contains code related to publications but also some personal projects.
You won’t find me on Facebook, because I dislike it. I am not affiliated with any other people calling themselves Bastian Rieck on that site.
Here are some whimsical facts about me:
I maintain a Geek Code, i.e. a pithy description of who I am in terms of the whole geek culture thing:
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.12 GM/CS d-(++) s-: a>? C++>++++ UL++ P++ L++ E--- W++ N o? K w O? M+ V-- PS+@ PE- Y+>++ PGP>+++ t+@ 5? X R* !tv b++>++++ DI+ D+ G++>++++ e++++>* h* r++>+++ y? ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
I am a big proponent of Web π, also known as Web 3.14159…, the natural successor of Web 2.0.
If I was an operating system, I would be Slackware Linux, apparently:
I use Neovim for all my editing tasks. It’s a great editor, you should try it!
If you want to contact me, please send an e-mail to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. For encrypted communication, please use my public key and GnuPG. I also use numerous messengers on my smartphone, such as Signal, Telegram, Threema, and, if need be, WhatsApp. You can find one of my mobile numbers in my curriculum vitæ.
For legal and privacy reasons, there is no way to comment on my content on this site. I do enjoy getting feedback from my readers via e-mail or some other medium, though. In my experience, such personal exchanges lead to profound and civil discussions.
Technically, my degree is called a Diplom in German, but calling it a diploma in English is just adding to the confusion. ↩︎