Being the playful nerd I am, I changed some things in the plugin's sourcecode. There is a diff file available, although the list of changes is rather small:

  • The packages amssymb and amsmath are now used, thus providing you with
  • more symbols and equations. I changed the deprecated equation environment
  • to the gather environment. I don't know if that makes sense.

Still, rendering some symbols such as \LaTeX doesn't work. Apparently, this is a restriction of LaTeX's math mode. However, the LaTeX plugin for kopete seems to handle this.

Addendum: I found a solution: If the plugin ignores any errors LaTeX encounters while trying to build the .dvi, the use of \TeX works in math mode. Download and apply this diff if you want a more kopete-like solution.